Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Giant Ice Spikes / Freezing Fog

Although everything that happens in the world however complex or simple can be scientifically explained as cause and effect, every time I encounter something significant, I like to believe a higher order is behind the timing and purpose. This past weekend has been especially difficult for many with the unexpected passage of a well respected individual in the weather community named Andy Gabrielson. Though I did not know this man personally, his work was truly inspiring and my thoughts have been with those acquaintances who were in his company. That being said, when I stepped out on Monday morning, I discovered the largest ice spikes I have ever encountered growing from a frozen puddle on a dumpster lid. This phenomena is of course nothing new for my blog however, I did not know they could become so massive. I suppose anything is possible with semi-distilled undisturbed water that had been sheltered from direct sunlight in 30 degree temperatures. The comfort is in knowing that besides the rarity of this unusual find, the timing for discovery could not have been more perfect. I sincerely hope that those most affected by loss are able to find peace and comfort in their own well timed introspective occurrences.

Edited phone pic as it was too big for my macro lens!


Secondary one that had multiple tiers.


Third and smallest yet still large.




Eventually his buddy arrived.


Afterwards I headed home through the country to check out the freezing fog.




Frozen spider web that probably wouldn't be unique were it not February.


2 comments:

Suz said...

I thought of you when I heard about the accident...wondered if you knew him...so tragic.
take care
love the ice

sknr31 said...

Lego Perspective = Great.