Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Squall Line With Rotation

When the current storm system recognized for producing record high temperature and dew point measurements came to pass through Central Illinois on Tuesday, it also generated several severe thunderstorm as well as tornado warnings. Cells that were initially semi-discreet lined out over in West Central Illinois resulting in a lackluster shelf cloud at dusk. The panorama shot from just north and west of Springfield at twilight was unwarned but would elevate to severe criteria a short while later. Underneath the leading edge were numerous small circulations including one to wrap up a persistent cigar shaped funnel as I was driving and can be seen pulling away via the frame with inset. Sticking with this area of interest it wasn't too surprising when my iMap Weather Radio app sounded with an alert that the complex had been warned. Staying ahead of the precipitation, I only experienced marginally severe wind gusts upon being briefly overtaken early in its labeling history.

c/o RadarScope














The following morning, another round of precipitation lifted from the southwest. Ahead of the main line were showers that caught the morning light resulting in an unexpected rainbow. I happened to be out with a little extra time waiting for places to open so I was able to capture it. Upon exiting my vehicle I heard a loud hissing noise and discovered that I ran over a piece of metal and was losing pressure fast. Quickly moving to a nearby gravel road, I had no choice but to change it which was fine except that by then, the heaviest of the mini squall line arrived leaving me soaked. Winds gusting to around 29 MPH (airport obs.) were markedly colder as well but you do what you have to do when you have to do it.



Before tire change.


After.

1 comment:

Suz said...

oh dear.....hope yu dried off quickly
nice rainbow...really nice