Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Orionids / Morning Storms / More

This past Saturday into Sunday was the peak of the annual Orionid Meteor Shower. I went out into the country but it was early so despite seeing a few small ones from out of frame, luck was not with me. I was however, swooped by a curious owl that I was able to follow with the flashlight across frame. Although it didn't show up, you can see where the unintentionally illuminated foreground resulted in my first accidental "light painting".



Trying again later, I was able to image a small one and then in a separate session after, pick up something extraordinarily bright but unfortunately my lens was out of focus. It is unlikely the second object is a meteor and instead, a flaring satellite since meteors (like the first) were generating green light trails which I'm pretty sure is the spectral color of ionized oxygen molecules as the meteor torches everything in its path of descent.





Messing around Sunday night.


Monday morning we had an MCS push through with occasional severe warnings. A cell to the NW captured my attention on velocity. Despite the intense lightning that was associated, I only caught an incidental bolt but the structure was still worth it.

Capture c/o RadarScope








This morning we had a piece of energy lift through that offered up more lightning.




14 minute stack.




Capture c/o RadarScope


and finally, though I haven't visited in ages, I have to give respect to StormTrack for remembering even if it is automated and a day early.

1 comment:

Suz said...

Birthday!?!!!
HAPPY biRTHDAY pAUL
love the photos
an owl you say? wow
would love to see that
and meteors