Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Quadrantid Meteor Shower

In the darkest hours before dawn today, I decided to try my hand with documenting the annual Quadrantid Meteor Shower. The window of opportunity for this display is very limited so for being where I was and surrounded by considerable light pollution, I was very surprised to get what I did. I was also fortunate to witness the first (and best) meteor in this series. Today marks the passing of our mother so the experience although easy to rationalize was also somewhat comforting. Be sure to check out the video link at the end of this message for a time lapse series set to real time audio from the session.

as is facing NNE.


27 minute stack (54 images shot in succession, each exposure is 30 seconds).


as is.


another 27 minute stack, NNE again.


26 minute stack, no meteors, facing E.


31 minute stack, no meteors, facing SSE, large trail at bottom is Venus.


28 minute stack, facing NNW.


VIDEO LINK

3 comments:

Dann Cianca said...

Very cool, my friend!

Wendell Malone said...

Another very good post Paul, well done!

Nabeel's Cosmos said...

I am so happy that you did. I've been wanting to gaze at the night sky for such a long time, but here in this big city, the night sky and the stars are almost non-existent.